In collaboration with Screen Australia and the Onbass Family Trust, the American Film Institute seeks to support emerging Australian storytellers by establishing the Screen Australia Onbass Fellowships at the AFI Conservatory. The Fellowships will expand opportunities for Australian filmmakers to pursue their craft and artistry free from the burden of tuition. Additionally, the Fellowships will provide a home away from home in Hollywood for the Australian Fellows to develop a network of high-performing peers and a community of collaborators from across the globe, while serving as ambassadors for the excellence and artistry of Australia.
The SCREEN AUSTRALIA ONBASS Fellowships
The Screen Australia Onbass Fellowships will be awarded to one gifted Australian filmmaker that will enter the AFI Conservatory in the fall of 2022 and one in the fall of 2024. The fellowship will underwrite the full tuition and fees, as well as include a modest stipend each semester (approximately $3,000 per semester) to help offset the expenses of living in Los Angeles during the program.
Applicants may apply to any one of the six disciplines in which the AFI Conservatory offers a Master of Fine Arts degree or Certificate of Completion.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent resident to be considered for the Fellowship.
- Applicants are preferably aged over 21.
- At the time of enrollment, the Fellowship recipient must not be currently employed by an Australian broadcaster or commissioning platform and not currently enrolled in a full-time capacity at another film, television or interactive digital media course at a film school or tertiary educational institution. This eligibility must be maintained throughout academic studies at the AFI Conservatory.
- Applicants must submit their completed application by Wednesday, December 1, 11:59 p.m. U.S. EST to be considered for the Fellowship.
- Applicants must adhere to the AFI Conservatory admissions requirements and processes.
Application and Important Dates
Applications are only accepted via our online application process. The application is accessible beginning September 9, 2021, and all applications must be submitted before December 1, 2021. No applications will be accepted or reviewed for the Fellowship that are received after December 1, 2021.
Click here to apply.
The Application consists of the following discipline-specific materials and portfolio requirements, and other general information.
Supporting Materials/Discipline Specific Portfolio Requirements
Supporting material and discipline-specific supporting materials requirements are available by visiting the Admissions Requirements Page.
An AFI scholarship application are required to be considered for the Fellowship. Scholarship applications should be submitted after your admissions application and are due no later than February 1, 2022.
Following the AFI Conservatory Admissions Committee’s review of the applications, applicants may be invited to interview to attend the AFI Conservatory.
The proposed timeline for announcing and selecting the initial recipient of the Screen Australia Onbass Fellowships is as follows:
September 9, 2021: Applications open.
December 1, 2021: Applications close
December 2, 2021 through February 2022: Applications are reviewed, and interviews are conducted by the selection committee.
March 14, 2022: Admissions notifications are sent to applicants
August 22, 2022: Recipient begins the AFI Conservatory program.
Please direct application questions to [email protected].