Ranked as one of the top film schools in America, the AFI Conservatory is searching for the next generation of filmmakers with individual artistic voices to apply as Fellows to one of the six disciplines in our MFA program. The AFI Conservatory does not offer any undergraduate degree programs and only admits once a year for fall terms.
AFI Fellows come from a diverse background and are represented by the majority of states in the US and over 40 countries around the world. Fellows at the Conservatory bring to life our mission and vision by serving as artists and leaders in the art of storytelling and influencing culture through their contributions to film and television.
This information on this page is for applicants to learn how to successfully apply to the MFA program, as well as provide instructions on material submissions for the Cinematography, Directing, Editing, Producing, Production Design, and Screenwriting disciplines.
We understand applying to graduate school is a lot of work, and we appreciate the time and attention every applicant puts into their materials. Should there be any questions about the admissions requirements, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Admissions office for clarification at [email protected].
BEFORE YOU APPLY
- Learn about the AFI Conservatory program and how the discipline you’re interested in will make you a better storyteller.
- Read the FAQ as it provides answers to many frequently asked questions.
- Learn about tuition, fees, and estimated living expenses by reviewing and understanding the cost of attendance.
- Review the admissions requirements and discipline-specific requirements to prepare for submitting the online application.
- Prepare all your application material well in advance of the application deadline as all material is due on the application deadline date.
- If you anticipate needing tuition assistance, please visit the Scholarship page to learn more about our donor-based scholarship opportunities.
- Add [email protected], [email protected], and the domain address AFI.com/AFI.edu to your email settings as communications about your application will come from [email protected], [email protected], or a staff email address. Check your spam/junk folder as well to ensure you receive all important communications. AFI is not responsible for any missed communications if applicants are not checking their spam folders or adding our domain addresses to their approved list of emails.
2023–2024 Admission Requirements
All applicants for admission to the MFA or Certificate of Completion at the AFI Conservatory must submit the following:
AFI uses the GradCAS application system. Because AFI is looking for passionate storytellers that want to deepen their knowledge and skills in a particular discipline, you will only have the option to apply to up to two disciplines.